Modelling the flow of nocturnal bird migration with year-round European weather radar network.
Raphaël Nussbaumer1,2 , Lionel Benoit2 , Grégoire Mariethoz2 , Felix Liechti1 , Silke Bauer1 and Baptiste Schmid1
- 1Swiss Ornithological Institute, Sempach, Switzerland
- 2Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Biorxiv, Researchgate, Demo, .
Dataset selection and pre-processing
- L3-L10: Download all data available on enram repository for the entire year of 2018.
- L50-L75: Delete the data of all radar with aparrent error in them
- L96-L117: Reshape data to be on a regular grid: 5min interval, same altitudinal bins.
- L119-L157: Compute sunrise and sunset at each radar location
- L256-L277: Manually clean the data (use a MATLAB app
- L281-L345: More automatic post-cleaning processing: removal of single data point isolated by 30min. Noise removal (replace value exeeding twice the average of 8 surounding values by the mean of the surounding values), interpolate to 5000m.
- L449-L498: Cleaning of flight speed componenet and
sd_vvpbased on the clearning performed on density.
- L502-L771: Insect removal procedure
The final interpolated spatio-temporal map can also be downloaded from zenodo .
See each livescript for more information.
- Inference of Bird density
- Interpolation of Bird density
- Inference of flight speed
- Interpolation of flight speed
This file contains both the code to compute the fluxes and also produce the figures of the paper.