Quantifying year-round nocturnal bird migration with a fluid dynamics model.
Raphaël Nussbaumer1,2 , Lionel Benoit2 , Grégoire Mariethoz2 , Felix Liechti1 , Silke Bauer1 and Baptiste Schmid1
1Swiss Ornithological Institute, Sempach, Switzerland, 2Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Corresponding author: Raphaël Nussbaumer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Publication in J. R. Soc. Interface <div data-badge-popover="right" data-badge-type="1" data-doi="10.1098/rsif.2021.0194" data-condensed="true" data-hide-no-mentions="true" class="altmetric-embed"></div>
- Visualization of the interpolation.
- BioRxiv Preprint <div data-badge-popover="right" data-badge-type="1" data-doi="10.1101/2020.10.13.321844" data-condensed="true" data-hide-no-mentions="true" class="altmetric-embed"></div>
These scripts perform the pre-processing explained in the Supplementary Material 1.
- Download and cleaning (
- L3-L10: Download all data available on enram repository for the entire year of 2018.
- L50-L76: Delete the data of all radar with aparrent error in them
- L97-L118: Reshape data to be on a regular grid: 5min interval, same altitudinal bins.
- L120-L158: Compute sunrise and sunset at each radar location
- L248-L278: Manually clean the data (use a MATLAB app
- L281-L346: More automatic post-cleaning processing: removal of single data point isolated by 30min. Noise removal (replace value exeeding twice the average of 8 surounding values by the mean of the surounding values), interpolate to 5000m.
- L439-L488: Cleaning of flight speed componenet and
sd_vvpbased on the clearning performed on density.
- Correction for elevation (
The final vertial profile of bird density and flight speed vector can also be downloaded from zenodo .
These scripts perform the interpolation explained in the Supplementary Material 2. See each livescript for more information.
- Inference of bird density
- Interpolation of bird density
- Inference of flight speed
- Interpolation of flight speed
- Simulation of bird density
- Flow model for the estimation map
- Flow model for the simulations map
These files contain both the code to compute the fluxes and also the figures of the paper.